About our Club
Click here to view important club documents and links
Castlegar Nordic Ski Club – A Brief History
The Castlegar Nordic Ski Club started in 1961 as the Sons of Norway Sports Club for members and families of the Sons of Norway Nordic Lodge #76. Skiing activities started out at Sheep Lake (now Nancy Greene Lake) where the club organized a picnic site and a ski race start area and hand cleared trails around the lake. Over the next few years the Club extended their trails from the Lake up into the Nordic basin (Gloryview trail) and built the Sons of Norway shelter (now referred to as the Nordic Hut). During this period a tracking machine was built by the B.C. Forest Service and stored at Kokanee Park. The Castlegar Club made the most use of it with the local Snowmobile club donating time to do the tracking.
The building of the Nordic cabin resulted in more use of the Glenmerry parking area and road system. An equipment cabin was erected in this area and an old, well used, small snow-cat was purchased for packing and track setting.
In 1975 the club decided to expand by opening up membership to everyone. The Club was renamed the Castlegar Nordic Ski Touring Club, the annual fees were set at $5 per family, and the bylaws stated that the President had to be a Sons of Norway member as that organization was still sponsoring the Club. This requirement was later deleted.
In the late seventies the Ben Shaw Ski Club, operating near Mud Lake, amalgamated with the Castlegar Club resulting in another westward expansion, another increase in membership and new trails, cabins, signage and activities. The Forest Service became more heavily involved in the development of the area. As well, during this period, the Ski Club was setting track and skiing on the Castlegar Golf Course and surrounding areas.
The current system of trails, cabins and other facilities has been developed through a close cooperative relationship over the years between the Ministry of Forests and the Castlegar Nordic Ski Club. This cooperation has resulted in the construction of low impact roads with varying grades for timber hauling. These roads, designed with input from the Club have resulted in a trail system consisting of a network of loops suitable for cross-country skiing. It is expected that the BC Timber Sales agency of the current Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations will continue to plan for the harvesting of timber throughout the ski trail area with consultation and input from the ski club.
Most recently, the Club has signed a formal Partnership Agreement with Recreation Sites and Trails BC, covering the Paulson Recreation Area. This Agreement recognizes the Club’s involvement in the planning and management of the ski trail area and allows for the collection of fees for skiing on the groomed trails. As well, the Club is committed to the long-term maintenance of the trails to the standards that skiers have come to expect.
History of the Trails in the Paulson X-Country Ski Area
Dennis Holden, Past President of CNSC
The Rossland-Paulson Trail was first built in 1899. At that time there was active trapping and prospecting in the area. As a result, there developed a small collection of cabins at Sheep Lake (now Nancy Green Lake) with a supply depot and a place to leave mail. Trails lead from here to the Bonanza Mine, Paulson on the railway, Shields on Arrow Lakes, Castlegar via Gem Hill and to Northport USA. In1925 the administration of these trails was turned over from Public Works to the Forest service. In 1927, Jack Killough was given a contract to improve the Rossland-Paulson trail. Some sections of old corduroy logs can still be found on the trail where it crosses the Norwegian trail.
Ben Shaw Trail
Ben Shaw (born 1860 in New Brunswick) established, around the turn of the century, a trapline and string of 10 cabins stretching from Big Sheep Creek up to Sheep Lake and over to Shields on the Arrow Lakes. One of his cabins still stands just to the SW of Mud Lake. By 1926 it was noted that lynx, marten and beaver were quite plentiful plus there was the usual coyote, cougar and a plentiful supply of both black and grizzly bear. In 1930, a large fire occurred in the area which has resulted in the dense, mature, beetle infested pine stands that are presently being logged. Ben Shaw died at Sheep Lake in the Fall of 1935 and was buried at the headwaters of Blueberry Creek . After his death the trapline was run by Ma Shaw and Gunnar Erickson. Gunnar bought the line outright in 1942 and continued to trap in the area until the late 80’s.
Gunnar Erickson’s Trail to Goat Mt and the Merry Creek Road
In the early 1960’s the Forest Service built a project trail into the Goat Mountain area where Gunnar Erickson was trapping. Gunnar was born in Sweden and died in Rossland 1999. There is a plaque in his memory located on the ridge approximately 400m.south of the end of the Glenmerry road. The plaque, set in concrete, states his name, dates and the note “a trappers paradise”.
The trail to Goat Mt. became a road in the summer of 1975. The lower end of the road was built by the George Merry Logging company and continued in use until 1980.
Seal Creek Road, Booty’s Trail and the Sunshine Cabin
Booty Griffith (born 1916) arrived in Rossland in 1937. By 1946 he was busy selling the first X-country skis and promoting the sport in this area. In 1973 Booty and friends ( The X-C Runners) began exploring the Ben Shaw trail and newly opened Seal Creek road. In 1974 they built the Ben Shaw shelter. This plastic covered A frame became the prototype for some 16 more shelters built across the upland area. Later in 1976 they located, SE of Ben Shaw, the Sunshine cabin and Adventure trail.
A survey for the Blueberry-Paulson section of Hwy. 3 began in 1954 and the road was completed in 1962. At that time there was a house and barn located near the highway crossing of Big Sheep Creek. The highway gave easy access to the area but not much recreational skiing was noted in the area until 1972. In 1973 the Forest Service brushed out the Rossland-Paulson trail, upgraded the Seal Creek road and put 2 picnic tables near Mud Lake.
In 1976 the Winterberry Trail from Nancy Green Lake to Mud Lake was proposed by the Selkirk College students in order to link the two ski areas together. The trail was constructed by the Wildland Recreation students under the direction of Rod Loftus in 1977.
Formation of the Castlegar Nordic Ski Club
By 1977 some conflicts between the general public, the snowmobilers, the skiers of the Sons of Norway and the X-C Runners from Rossland were noted by the Forest Service. As a result a planner, Barry Dougal, was hired in 1978 and a meeting was held to address these concerns. After some heated debate, it was agreed snowmobilers should stay to the North side of the Hwy. and Special Use Permits were to be issued in for the planned Nordic and two existing Bootie cabins. All cabins were to be open to the public. Ivar Reinsbakken, recreation director for the Sons of Norway and B. Griffiths, of the X-C Runners, were the signees. These two clubs and other interested individuals then went on to form the Castlegar Nordic Ski Club which became a registered organization in1990.
The trail brochure in 1981 shows the Nordic cabin, the Benshaw and the Sunshine (removed 1993) cabins. Then followed the building of the Pine and extensive trails in the Glory View basin. The Norwegian loop was first traversed by the author and his daughters in 1984 and was built in1986 by George Apel’s crew under direction of Dave Fitchett, Recreational Officer for the Forest Service. The Glenmerry cabin was built by the Castlegar Nordic Ski Club in 1989.
Much of the trail development of the 1990’s and 2000’s has been driven by the need to log beetle infested lodgepole pine. A total chance plan for roads/trails has been established and it has provided excellent opportunities for X-country skiing. Potential still exists to open new trails to join the Glenmerry with the Seal Creek road and to connect the Paulson and Bonanza areas via the waterfalls on Michner Creek. Current and planned activities will be covered in the CNSC Newsletters.
The maintenance of these trails and cabins has depended on the generous support of the BC Forest Service, Sons of Norway and dedicated club volunteers. The Paulson Country Ski Area has a long history and a great future. Hopefully it will be appreciated and protected by all.